Do you, or does someone working for you need an Enhanced DBS check? Engage has teamed up with People Dancing to offer Engage
members a brand-new benefit.
People Dancing is the UK development organisation and membership body for those involved in creating opportunities for people to experience and participate in dance. People Dancing has been processing and countersigning Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Disclosures for members since 2002. In December 2012 the CRB was renamed: Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).
What is the DBS?
The Disclosure and Barring Service is used by employers to check the suitability of people they recruit to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults. (This information refers to residents working in England and Wales. For Scotland please visit Disclosure Scotland. For Northern Ireland please visit AccessNI).
Do you need an Enhanced DBS check?
An Enhanced DBS check is required if the work and activities being carried are frequent and of a teaching/leading and/or unsupervised nature. If you are unsure whether or not your role meets the criteria for eligibility you may contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or you can use this eligibility tool on the DBS website.
Applying for an Enhanced DBS check
A DBS Registered Body is required to process and ‘countersign’ your application before it is passed to the DBS. This includes verification of a selection of original identity documents (or Post Office certified identity documents) to be seen by the counstersignatory alongside your application form. The application is then passed to the DBS who will issue a DBS Certificate to be sent to you in the post. If you are an Engage member, we can arrange this service for you through our associates, People Dancing.
DBS application process
- To receive a DBS application pack please email your request to DBS@engage.org.
- You will be emailed full instructions and a link to the online DBS application form.
- Complete the online application form and provide proof of identity (by using the Post Office’s document certification service and sending your proof by post to People Dancing).
- If you are unable to use the Post Office service, you can send your original documentation by Royal Mail Special Delivery to People Dancing.
- You will select your method of payment on the online application form.
- Allow up to 2 weeks for verification, and return of your documents.
- The DBS aims to issue and dispatch a certificate within two to four weeks. You can track the progress of your application online at the DBS online tracking page.
The cost of this service is £63.50. In addition, you have two postage options for the return of your identity documents: £4 for Royal Mail Signed For Delivery or £8 for Special Delivery (unless using the Post Office Identity Checking Service to verify photocopies of your original documentation). Payment for this service is on application, either by credit card or cheque, directly to People Dancing.
Non-UK Nationals will be validated by supplying the following combination of documents: • 1 Valid Passport (any country), Bank Statement, Utility Bill. OR • 2 Valid UK or EEA Driving Licence (photocard), a Credit Card statement and a Council Tax statement. OR •3 Valid Passport (any country), Current Biometric Residence Permit (UK issued), P60 or P45
If you require any additional support with your DBS application, please contact People Dancing on 0116 253 3453 Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, or email us at: email@example.com
The regular news letters, opportunities, and professional development is what I value most about being an Engage member. The new addition of DBS is brilliant!Engage Personal member