This one-day training event has been developed in partnership by Luminate and Engage Scotland to provide an overview to being dementia aware and making your venue space, staff and programmes dementia inclusive.
The day will feature:
- key-note presentation from Dr Andrew Newman, Prof of Cultural Gerontology at Newcastle University
- dementia awareness training from Age Scotland
- panel session with colleagues from arts organisations already delivering dementia inclusive activities
We will cover the following:
- A rights-based approach to making the arts accessible for people with dementia
- The importance of undertaking basic dementia awareness training with all staff in an organisation/venue where possible
- Sharing good practice
- Practical approaches to making galleries more dementia friendly
Who is it for?
Educators, curators and front of house staff at arts and heritage organisations, artists and anyone interested in developing meaningful, purposeful and sustainable creative approaches to dementia inclusion in their organisation.
|Engage member freelancer *||£10|
|Engage member organisation *||£30|
Places are limited to a maximum of two people from the same organisation.
If you have any questions about booking or would like this information in another format, please contact Engage on
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7729 5858
Fax: +44 (0)20 7739 3688
* Join Engage to benefit from discounted event fees plus professional development support, access to ground-breaking research projects, resources and publications and a national and international network of peers. Find out more at www.engage.org/join
Engage Scotland represents the Scottish body of Engage members, responding to training and networking needs within gallery education with a Scottish focus.
Engage Scotland offers a programme of events, projects and research supporting those working in learning and engagement in visual arts venues in Scotland. Several events, including networking and training meetings, are held each year across Scotland reflecting themes and concerns within the sector.
We currently have over 90 members representing organisations, artists and freelance gallery educators from across Scotland. http://engage.org/engage-scotland/
This event reflects Engage Scotland’s ongoing commitment to the policy demands of the Visual Arts Sector Manifesto launched in partnership with SCAN and the Scottish Artists Union.
Particularly relevant are:
We maintain that learning can play a nourishing and vital role for all of us, throughout our lives.
We believe that art is vital for the health and wellbeing of individuals and society.
Luminate is Scotland’s creative ageing organisation. Our vision is that all older people in Scotland are able to access high quality arts and creative activities whatever their background and circumstances and wherever they live.
We deliver a year-round programme of events and activities which celebrates creativity as we age and reflects and values older people as audiences, participants and artists.
Would you like to receive more information about Luminate? Sign up for their newsletter here.