Cross-arts professional development course
APPLICATION DEADLINE PASSED
Deadline for applications: 10am, 23 November 2020
Applications are invited from colleagues working in learning and education roles in the arts and cultural sectors (UK) and the arts sector (Scotland and Wales) interested in participating in the Extend Leadership Programme 2020–21.
Now in its tenth year, Extend is informed by a commitment to empowering education and learning professionals so that they are able to influence the sector’s development and help to ensure that learning is embedded in arts and cultural organisations. Extend is cross art form and welcomes applicants who work in the arts, museums, libraries, archives and heritage settings.
What is Extend?
Extend was developed in response to the under-representation of learning and education professionals in the arts and cultural sectors. The pilot programme was funded by the Cultural Leadership Programme and Creative Scotland; subsequent programmes have been funded by Arts Council England, Creative Scotland and the Arts Council of Wales.
As a leadership development programme for mid-career colleagues working in education and learning roles in the arts and cultural sectors, Extend aims to:
- To support mid-career education and learning colleagues within the arts and cultural sectors to progress on their own terms, in order to assume leadership roles and responsibilities
- To enhance the audience and participant experience by increasing the influence of education and learning colleagues in strategic development and programming in the arts and cultural sectors
- To encourage a diverse range of applicants to Extend and to contribute to increasing the diversity of leadership in the arts and cultural sectors
- To interrogate and evaluate whether education and learning colleagues in the arts and cultural sector bring specific attributes, qualities or skills which contribute to leadership in the sector
- Engage actively promotes equality and diversity. Extend supports our aim to develop future leaders in the arts and cultural sectors who reflect the diversity of the UK
Why apply to Extend?
Extend was originally developed by a group of senior professionals working in education and learning roles in the arts, and remains the only leadership programme designed to meet the specific needs of education and learning professionals who aspire to leadership positions in the arts and cultural sectors.
Extend is informed by a commitment to empowering education and learning professionals so that they are able to influence the sector’s development and help to ensure that learning is embedded in arts and cultural organisations.
‘This is the first course I have been on where I have really concentrated and listened to everything. Each part has taught me many things about leadership – knowledge that I will be able to take with me throughout my career.’Extend participant
The Programme enables mid-career professionals to:
- Acquire and apply leadership skills, working with a cohort of peers from across England, Wales and Scotland
- Engage in intensive residentials and to explore aspects of leadership through group enquiries, mentoring, critical reflection and self-led learning
- Gain opportunities to explore and reflect upon their current practice, to meet with inspiring leaders in the sector, to develop their own projects and to plan for the future
- Meet and network with graduates of Extend through attendance at our annual Alumni event
The total fee for the programme is £200 for participants resident and working in England, Scotland or Wales.
Selected applicants will be invoiced as soon as they confirm acceptance of their place. Acceptance must be confirmed within 7 days of an offer being made.
If you would like further information about Extend before submitting an application we encourage you to contact the Extend Coordinator, Dawn Cameron, on 07753 748 038 / 0113 226 4064 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you need application details in another format please contact Engage at email@example.com
Applicants living and working in Scotland and Wales
For further guidance, please see our information for applicants and frequently asked questions documents, available in English and Welsh.
Applicants living and working in England
For further guidance, please see our information for applicants and frequently asked questions documents.