Expressions of interest are invited from colleagues working in learning and education roles in the arts and cultural sectors (UK) and the arts sector (Scotland and Wales) interested in participating in the Extend Leadership Programme 2020–21
This year’s programme will run from May 2020 – March 2021. In order to apply, we’d like you first to complete our short expression of interest form below. It should take no more than a couple of minutes to complete.
Information for applicants
In light of the unprecedented events of the past weeks, we intend to delay the commencement of the Extend Leadership Programme 2020–21. We are currently scoping different models for delivery and content which will help to ensure that the programme maintains its strong reputation amongst education and learning professionals in the sector. The programme fees are also under review. We will continue to post updates on the Engage website and social media platforms.
In the meantime, colleagues are encouraged to submit expressions of interest below and to request calls back from Dawn Cameron, our Extend Coordinator.
We are very sorry that we can’t be more definitive at this stage. Please be assured that Extend remains a cornerstone of our endeavours to support professionals in education and learning to progress to leadership within the sector. For more information about Engage’s operations during this time, please see our Covid-19 update page.
What is Extend?
Extend was developed in response to the under-representation of learning and education professionals in the arts and cultural sectors. The pilot programme was funded by the Cultural Leadership Programme and Creative Scotland; subsequent programmes have been funded by Arts Council England, Creative Scotland and the Arts Council of Wales. Please visit these pages for further background information and biographies of recent Extend cohorts.
As a leadership development programme for mid-career colleagues working in education and learning roles in the arts and cultural sectors, Extend aims to:
- To support mid-career education and learning colleagues within the arts and cultural sectors to progress on their own terms, in order to assume leadership roles and responsibilities.
- To enhance the audience and participant experience by increasing the influence of education and learning colleagues in strategic development and programming in the arts and cultural sectors.
- To encourage a diverse range of applicants to Extend and to contribute to increasing the diversity of leadership in the arts and cultural sectors.
- To interrogate and evaluate whether education and learning colleagues in the arts and cultural sector bring specific attributes, qualities or skills which contribute to leadership in the sector.
Engage actively promotes equality and diversity. Extend supports our aim to develop future leaders in the arts and cultural sectors who reflect the diversity of the UK.
Never before have I been on any kind of course or training where every single part felt relevant and useful — this was so well put together and has benefitted me so much.Extend participant
Why apply to Extend?
Extend was originally developed by a group of senior professionals working in education and learning roles in the arts, and remains the only leadership programme designed to meet the specific needs of education and learning professionals who aspire to leadership positions in the arts and cultural sectors.
Extend is informed by a commitment to empowering education and learning professionals so that they are able to influence the sector’s development and help to ensure that learning is embedded in arts and cultural organisations.
The Programme enables mid-career professionals to:
- Acquire and apply leadership skills, working with a cohort of peers from across England, Wales and Scotland.
- Engage in intensive residentials and to explore aspects of leadership through group enquiries, mentoring, critical reflection and self-led learning
- Gain opportunities to explore and reflect upon their current practice, to meet with inspiring leaders in the sector, to develop their own projects and to plan for the future
- Meet and network with graduates of Extend through attendance at our annual Alumni event
This is the first course I have been on where I have really concentrated and listened to everything. Each part has taught me many things about leadership — knowledge that I will be able to take with me throughout my career.Extend participant