Are you an artist or work in the contemporary visual art sector? Do you have a conference, training or other policy-based event you would like to attend? Could you share your new knowledge and skills with others in our network?
SCAN and Engage Scotland want to encourage new voices in our community and provide them with more skills, confidence and knowledge. Mandate Go See Fund aims to ensure that a wider range of opinions and experiences are heard in policy developments in Scotland and across the UK.
The scheme supports the joint advocacy actions that we undertake to drive forward the Visual Arts Manifesto.
We can consider applications from those working in visual arts for attendance at:
- Events that explore policy and practice within the contemporary visual art sector and the wider creative industries
- Events where participants build new networks and contacts whilst championing the role of artists and contemporary visual art
- Events that connect with and drive forward the Visual Arts Manifesto
The scheme will cover:
- Event ticket costs up to £300 (where applicable) plus up to £200 for travel costs.
- A stipend of £170 per day will be available (pro rata for shorter events)
- Additional funding for childcare and access support is also available if applicable.
If you are successful we will ask you:
- To complete a short feedback form so that we can share your learning with our wider networks and further develop our ongoing campaigning and advocacy.
- To share the message of the Visual Arts Manifesto at the event you attend
Your attendance at the event will be shared on social media posts by the Mandate team (SCAN/Engage). We may also share quotes and images from your feedback form.
Who can apply?
All Scotland based contemporary visual arts workers including artists, curators, facilitators/educators and producers who are unable to draw on institutional support for this activity and who are not in full-time education. Applicants are responsible for their own tax and National Insurance contributions.
We encourage applications from people at all stages of their careers and from under-represented groups and communities.
How to apply
Please download the application form here and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 17 January 2020.
Our next deadlines are: 12:00 pm, Friday 17 January 2020 — for events after Monday 20 January 2020
We will consider applications outside of the set deadlines in exceptional circumstances.
How will applications be assessed?
Representatives of SCAN and Engage Scotland will meet quarterly to check applications are eligible and meet the stated criteria.
In the event of us receiving more applications than we can fund priority will be given to:
- applicants working in an independent or freelance capacity
- applicants from underrepresented groups
- those who have made a strong case for how their attendance at the event will help drive forward the Visual Arts Manifesto demands.
How will the funds be paid?
Our preferred method of payment is by BACS in two instalments. The first instalment will cover any advance costs and the second instalment will be paid after the event and submission of your report. We will send you a payment form to give us your BACS details.
We regret that whilst we can support attendance at events across the UK we are unable to support international trips at this point.
- October 2019 — Lada Wilson, Agnes Jones and Aniela Piasecka (reports to follow)
- July 2019 — Louise Briggs, Studio Pavilion: Mapping Contemporary Art in the Heritage Experience
- March 2019 — Iona McCann, Art in Healthcare: The Arts Health Research Intensive
- November 2018 — Ben Callaghan: The Social Theory, Politics and the Arts (STPA) Conference
- July 2018 — Natalia Palombo and Samar Ziadat: Creative Industries Federation Focus Group