Qualifications and training

There is no set qualification requirement to work as a visual arts engagement practitioners and there are a variety of routes in.

Some practitioners have a degree (common subjects are Fine Art, Art History, Education—but these are not exclusive). There are also an increasing number of postgraduate qualifications that support professional development in the field e.g. an MA in Gallery Studies, Arts Management, Education or Art History or a PGCE. Other visual arts engagement practitioners enter the sector through completely different routes and bring skills from other sectors such as healthcare or teaching.

Engage offers training throughout the year catered to early, mid and senior career professionals. Keep an eye out on our training and events page to get involved.

If you are trying to enter the profession, it can be helpful to have some part-time, casual, or voluntary experience in visual arts engagement. Informal training is offered by some galleries through internships and voluntary work/placements or shadowing. A good starting point can be to contact your regional area representative who works in the sector. Find your area representative.

Training for those wishing to enter the sector is improving and there are some excellent specialised courses in the UK. A variety of university courses at graduate and post-graduate level focus on or have modules on visual arts engagement and gallery education. You can find out more by searching UCAS, the UCAS postgraduate course search.